Where did it all begin?

The first public meeting to float the idea of forming a Bowling Club was held with local residents at the church hall on 6 March 1950.

Thirty two people attended, including three ladies, all stating their desire and intention of becoming foundation members, if and when a Club was formed. A second public meeting was held on 28 April 1950 and office bearers were elected, and the venture started in earnest. Hampton Bowls Club was born.

Cr Tom Duff was first President, Mr R Barnett and Mr A Hillier were Vice Presidents and Mr H Nankervis was Secretary / Treasurer. This Committee gathered together a team of eager and dedicated volunteers to build a Club House and lay down a green.

In April 1950 the Council agreed to a loan of £3,000, and in June 1950 a debenture issue was raised, with the interest rate at 3%, to provide the necessary finance.

On 22 May 1951 a meeting was held to initiate the beginning of the Ladies section, with eleven ladies attending. Mrs C Barnett was elected as inaugural Lady President, Mrs L Murdoch and Mrs P Best as Vice Presidents, Mrs H Pout as Secretary, and Mrs E Smith as Treasurer. A General Committee of all other ladies present was formed, and as Associate members the total roll call was thirty-four.


The official opening took place on 22 December 1951, with the Ladies Section opening on 8 January 1952

About Hampton Bowls Club
welcome to hampton bowls club
about Hampton Bowls Club